Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Can I get some rank with that?

 Yes! There is a belt ranking system. For adults its: white, blue, purple, brown, and black. For kids its: white, grey, yellow, orange, green then, blue, purple, brown, and black. A kid is only eligible for blue and up at the age of 16. Also depending on who your instructor is there are 4 optional stripe promotions per belt

Because jiu jitsu is as complex of a martial art as you can get, it generally takes around a decade to get to black belt. Whereas karate hands out black belts in a fairly quick amount of time in comparison. I'd also like to note a huge difference between jiu jitsu and karate is that in jiu jitsu a minor is not eligible to receive a black belt, however, karate has a knack for sending kids out and about with one on a regular basis. I believe maturity is of major importance in deciding to hand someone a black belt given the symbolism. With that said Tae Kwon Doe and other striking martial arts should make some changes.

Here are some rank promotions in my jiu jitsu journey...







...

...

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were so many different color belts you could achieve. Congrats on achieving your purple belt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, martial arts does encourage a bright and colorful aspect to daily living. I am enjoying the color purple so much more now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome, I know it takes a lot of hard work to get there. I believe my friend is a brown belt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it's a lot like karate in the belt system?

    ReplyDelete