Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Kid Jitsu, What Kind of Training Should Kids Do?

So, recently I talked about the different elements involved with a well-rounded training session. If you have not read that, a quick reminder:


  • A good warm-up
  • Drilling of movements and submission techniques
  • Detailed repetition of isolated techniques
  • Sparring aka "Rolling"



 Alright, back to what I was saying. I have been thinking about it a lot lately and I would like to voice my perception of the optimal training experience for kids age 5-10. Now in the academy that I attend we have this mantra and it's known in the jiu jitsu community, it's "position before submission."


The reason I mention this in a post about kids training is because kids are still experiencing a lack of coordination and really short attention spans. So it's my theory that kids should be taught the positions with an emphasis on developing their motor skills and coordination before being taught any submission techniques.

I mean that would inherently follow the logic of the mantra previously stated, but sometimes I don't feel like its taken serious enough. Or that people say it, but don't really think critically about what that really means. I believe there's an initial emphasis on submissions that can be problematic, especially if you understand that in order to get the submission your must stabilize and implement superior control of your opponent's position.

Let me reiterate that this is just a theory of mine developed through some critical thought. I in no way am sure if a program like this would be good for business as learning submissions is what gets people in the door, but anyone with any experience knows it's at least viable from a practicing stand point.

Hope you enjoyed this Brazilian jiu jitsu insight, til next time good day!




4 comments:

  1. These tips would also work for a 22 year old individual who has done little to no exercise lately....... cough (me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of the same tips I give to my Gymnastics students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, I'm noticing a lot of similarities between jiu jitsu and gymnastics.

      Delete