Search This Blog

Thursday, March 12, 2015

What Competitions are Like and Why you Should do a Few

One of my favorite jiu jitsu related activities are competitions. They are always a blast and eventful in a multitude of ways. Most instructor's from what I understand promote a healthy interest in competition experience, I know mine does. Not everyone enjoys competing, however, there are several legitimate ideas as to the importance of competing.


Here's what a big tournament looks like:
http://themmacorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/
BJJDanRodGracieMag.jpg
Now back to what I was saying...

For one, unless you travel frequently and/or have a really big academy, its a way of diversifying your jiu jitsu experience on a person to opponent context. Take me for example, the academy I attend isn't the biggest around and while there are a variety of skill levels and body sizes not everyone makes it to every class. What this means is, that since I don't travel around and I train and roll with a certain group of people consistently, it gives a fresh rolling experience. 

Competing gives everyone the chance to implement their jiu jitsu skills against someone they've never gone up against before and amp up the intensity 100%. This is nice because when you train with a team, everyone learns each others' games and you should keep training intensity at a healthy level as to keep from injuries.

At another angle of thinking, competition serves as an accurate tool for discovering what it is in your skill set that can use some refinement. This goes back to the previous point where knowing your teammates' games and vice versa comes into play.

Competitions usually are an all day event and you get to see and meet a lot of other people who are a part of this community which is fun. Getting to meet people and network is a great bonus. Here is a couple of photos of me and my instructor meeting a couple of world renowned and highly talented jiu jitsu practitioners:
Us with Raphael Lovato Jr.
Photo by Troy Russell

Us with Justin Rader
Photo by Troy Russell

And last but not least competitions are a wonderful way to market your academy and possibly acquire interest from someone who is looking for somewhere to train. Either that or falling back on networking and finding out about places for potential cross training.

When competing make sure you either bring plenty of money for snacks or do as I do and bring something healthy like bananas and nuts. Nothing to heavy on the gut but enough to keep your energy up for the hurry up and wait part of the day. This is usually after the rules meeting at the beginning of the day and while divisions other than yours are in action.

There are usually some venders around selling jiu jitsu related merchandise. Anything from T-Shirts to mouth-guards or a new GI. Well there's my beginner's look at jiu jitsu competitions and why to do them, have any questions or comments you know what to do. Til next time good day.








4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, there is nothing like a competition to help improve your skills, or even to put you in your place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you mentioned, attending these things is a way to diversify the experience and get exposed to all kinds of enthusiastic individuals. This would be like me at a drum clinic or music festival. I can imagine you take away so much knowledge from attending these things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect it, but it would be so hard for me to sit through one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya and my mom feels the same way! It is an all day event typically and of the hurry up and wait kind.

      Delete