Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

A couple of classes into my instructing position...

So I have officially taught two classes on my own now!

I have got to be honest, in my personal opinion the first class went well, but the nerves got to me a little and in hindsight I saw where I could make improvements right away.

With jiu jitsu it is important to be detail oriented as I am. However, I realized quickly after the first class that I need to be willing to move on at a quicker pace to get through the curriculum and accept that I don't have the time to critique each student thoroughly. I laugh about it now but, during the first class I would demonstrate the technique on someone then have the whole class work on it without having demonstrated it on someone else, so the first student I demo'd on got to see it. That was a no-no, but at least I recognized it right away.

I am hugely excited about this endeavor largely because it only took one class for me to get comfortable and correct the above stated flaws. Aside from the timing of warm-ups and drills. Other than that, by the next class I had fixed the demo issue completely and look forward to all the classes to come. Until next time, good day.

P.S. here are some pics from class-


...



Photos provided by: Troy Russell

9 comments:

  1. That's awesome Troy, I'm glad your not nervous and it sounds like your doing a great job. Keep it up man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ,way to go! teaching always makes you feel like your doing something important in your students life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! It's a priceless kind of thing to do only it costs lol.

      Delete
  3. I'm always so nervous for first time experiences that aren't anywhere near as nerve racking as teaching a course. Kudos to you, sir! I'm sure you did great. Keep being detail oriented! It'll pay off for you and your students

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everybody has to start somewhere. This will only make you a better coach!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you'll perfect your teaching technique eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad there's another teacher in these blogs.

    ReplyDelete