Search This Blog

Monday, April 13, 2015

What you know about Cauliflower Ear??

Today I want to talk a bit about cauliflower ear and share with everyone a short video on what others have to say about it. 

Cauliflower ear is basically a hematoma of the ear caused by blunt force and/or contact friction. If anyone one wrestles, fights, or does jiu jitsu, you either have cauliflower ears or know someone who does. You either mind it or you don't.

If you are one of the many who cannot stand the idea of having deformed ears, then you can simply wear head gear (which sucks I can't do it), or get it drained immediately. The draining method is taking a syringe, sticking the needle into your highly sensitive and inflamed ear and extracting the blood from the ear.

I for one am not interested in that at all!

About six months into training is when I got my first cauliflower ear. Say what you will, but I accepted my cauliflower ear like a badge of honor. There are only so many ways in which one gets cauliflower ear and all of them are by doing something tough and grueling. This my friends is why it is a badge of honor to me.

Now let me be honest, it is also a great conversation starter. I did not know when it happened that it would lead to spontaneous conversation where strangers would ask about my wrestling background. Which is cool, albeit a little misleading cause I never wrestled. However, I simply correct them by telling them it's from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and not wrestling, then the conversation flows from there.

Others are worried about it not being attractive, heck with that, as far as I'm concerned I make it look good. There you have it my take on cauliflower ear now here are some others.




Until next time, good day.







9 comments:

  1. I didn't think it looked all that bad until I saw Rafeal Dos Anjos ears, it's true what they say though it's like wearing a black belt all the time. Makes them look like bad asses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man great way to address the elephant in the room! Cauliflower ear is definitely something people may find odd or grotesque unfortunately, but it doesn't me. Athletes in these areas are so fit and are incredible disciplined hard workers. My hat goes off to them. Like you said, someone could always wear head gear too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I have always noticed and wondered about this is a good post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there any hearing damage with cauliflower ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the calcification gets to large it can definitely affect hearing, but if it stays at a more moderate size kind of like mine then it isn't really noticeable.

      Delete
  5. I actually knew nothing about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure this hardly relates but when I play the UFC video games, I always try to give my opponent cauliflower ear.

    ReplyDelete