Search This Blog

Sunday, April 5, 2015

BJJ Seminar's... The great supplementation to regular class attendance!

Hi everyone, I just had the opportunity yesterday to attend a BJJ seminar hosted by Gracie Humaita KC and taught by the legendary Wellington "Megaton" Dias! I had a great time learning from such a renown practitioner.

It was a unique experience because it was the first time I did anything BJJ related without having any of my teammates alongside me. Which at first was slightly nerve wrecking at first, but, if jiu jitsu has helped me with anything it has helped me with dealing with the feeling of being uncomfortable. So I went and had great time breaking down my introverted nature even more.

Okay, for those of you who aren't familiar with what a BJJ seminar is and what it's like I'd be glad to fill you in.

It is extended length version of a regular class usually where people from various academies come together to learn BJJ from a high ranking practitioner who is not readily available from day to day. When I began practicing jiu jitsu there weren't many seminars in the area being done often, they are starting to pick up now. I like this, however, it can be hectic on the pocketbook. As they can cost anywhere from $75 to a couple hundred per session.

The great thing about seminars is, that like with competition you converge with people outside of your gym most of the time. In addition, at every seminar I have attended I have learned something that was not being taught at my academy. This gives growth to your playbook so to speak. Its nice and I can't wait to show a couple of things I learned at this seminar to my teammates.

Being from Topeka, KS, you don't get much access to well known practitioners unless you can travel, so every chance I get I make the most of it.

Here is a picture of myself and "Megaton."

Photo provided by Troy Russell
Until next time good day.








   

7 comments:

  1. Gymnastics has conferences as well. I didn't know that martial arts did too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, expo's, conventions, and all that good stuff.

      Delete
  2. Sounds intense!!! I'm glad you had a great time though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to learn from a legend! Conferences are such a great place to network and meet people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! It's really cool when you meet very important people in the community.

      Delete
  4. Where are the rest of the Decepticons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it took me a second to recognize the reference! I think they were laying low this go round.

      Delete